Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Reflection on the ADK

Part 1:
Please DESCRIBE (this means MORE than list, you know...) at least five meaningful things you learned in this course and how these things have, or will, effect change(s) in your life (either personally or professionally).


My goal was to come to Huntington Camp and learn as much as I possible could about how the camp became what it is today. By completing the readings and videos before class I was able to gain a brief understanding of the camp but the real learning occurred for me through discussions and visits to both museums. I will definitely take the idea of learning about places back into my ideas of teaching. I see now that it is important for students to know where they come from and the places they visit so that they can gain a better understanding of the history and therefore the experience will have a deeper meaning to the.


The discussions about transition towns and reducing carbon footprints really had an impact on me. I knew ideas like these existed but I really never looked at it in the perspective of my life. Have the care ride home allowed me to reflect on the ways I could reduce my carbon footprint by just carpooling or just being resourceful and not having to run to the store all the time.


I learned more about technology programs such as Comic Life. Even though Karl explained how to use it briefly, it was interesting to see classmates put it to use. I was able to play around with the program and found it to be very user friendly. The uses for Comic Life are endless and I think it’s a program that every teacher should make available to their students. Students love reading comics so what a better way to incorporate what they enjoy reading into an educational activity. I hope someday I will be able to incorporate Comic Life into my classroom teaching.


I learned that eating fruits and veggies that are not in season is not good. I never really thought about it but not that I know, I will be sure to eat my fruits and veggies in season. I explained this whole concept to my family and they all agree that we need to start doing this. I explained to them by buying from farmers markets and eating fruits and veggies in season we are supporting farmers as well as reducing our carbon footprint.


I also learned how important it is to get children outside. By listening to everyone that day, it made me realize that I need to start doing this more and also encourage teachers to do the same. There are many ways to get students outside even if it’s just to get them up and stretching. By doing this, hopefully students will see how important it is to be outside and active.

Part 2:
Please DESCRIBE at least three things you have taken away from the course topics, activities, discussions, and/or readings that will affect what you do to in your classroom (or workplace) that will connect our week to what you do every day.


One thing I have definitely learned and will take from this course is to NEVER give up. By completing the ropes course, I learned how easy it can be to give up on something new that has never been completed. The encouragement and perseverance I gained that day allowed me to reevaluate how I will deal with students who choose to give up in my classroom. Some students enter new situations and end up giving up because it’s too difficult. I plan on taking the situation I was in and the pride I felt when completing the course as a motivation to help other students realize that they CAN do anything.


Everyone’s presentations on Friday were great. I took away many different ideas from the presentations. The idea of a rain dance could be incorporated into any classroom. I think this is a great idea as it touches on many multiple intelligences. Viewing students stories on Comic Life also gave me ideas of how I could incorporate it into my classroom. I thought completing projects was a great idea and culminating closing activity.


The last thing I will take away from the week we all spend together is take time for myself. All the weeks up until our time at Raquette Lake were hectic. I never took time for myself to reflect on different activities I did. Having a week away from ringing phones, stress, and technology really allowed me to reflect. I think this was a great time to take this class as in the fall I will be starting my teaching career. Being talking with other teachers really allowed me to prepare mentally for the road I am about to travel down. Just by sitting around the campfire listening and talking with experienced teachers I learned a lot of useful information. I can not wait to start this journey after a terrific and relaxing week in the ADK.


Thank you Beth and Karl for giving us this opportunity to explore, interact, and reflect with each other. This had to be the best course I have taking in a long time. The amount of information I gained in the six days was definitely more than I have ever received in a semester. I hope future students can experience all this class has to offer. Thanks again!

1 comment:

  1. Heather,

    I'm glad that you were able to experience some time for yourself to step back and reflect. This is something important to remember to put into action in your classroom as well. If we are always rushing students from one topic to the next, they won't have a chance to digest and make connections with the content they are learning. It is great that you were willing to try so many new things and that you took so much from the course. Please remember to keep in touch and let Karl and I know how things are going as you implement some of your plans.

    -Beth

    ReplyDelete